This dish is one of my all-time favorite fall recipes! It is packed with veggies and infused with the best autumn-esque herbs and spices. It's a filling, comforting dish, perfect for those chilly days when you don't want to cook, but still want to eat something warming and healthy.
The great thing about these roasted veggies is the versatility. You can use whatever veggies are in your fridge. Even better, go to your local farmer's market to source vegetables that are in season. Not only are you getting the best produce, but you will be supporting local farmers and contributing to the local food system.
For this iteration of the recipe, I used a few of my favorite root vegetables, including potatoes, carrots and onions. Root vegetables work the best because they tend to hold up well roasting. You can also use any squash variation parsnips, sweet potatoes, beets, rutabagas, turnips, yams, or any other root vegetable. I also added some mushrooms (you can use broccoli or cauliflower, too) for a little something extra.
But the magic of this recipe is in the herbs - er, herb. The star of this dish is the rosemary. Just a few sprigs infuses the veggies with a warm, earthy flavor. And depending on how earthy you like your food, you can use as much or as little as you like.
The only other ingredient you need is some salt and pepper. This adds simple, slight flavor that takes a great backseat to the rosemary.
This dish is so easy to make. Chop veggies. Top with rosemary. Roast. Eat.
Seriously, it takes no time, is super healthy and, most of all, is incredibly delicious.
Here's the recipe.
[recipe title="Fall Inspired Roasted Veggies" servings="4-6" time="1 hour"]
- 2 lbs potatoes, chopped into large chunks
- 2 cups mushrooms, left whole
- 2 cups carrots, sliced into large(ish) chunks
- 1 onion, chopped into large chunks
- 6-8 sprigs of rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Chop potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, and onion.
- Arrange in 9" x 13" roasting or baking pan.
- Arrange a few sprigs of rosemary on top of the veggies and use the rest of the sprigs around the edges of the pan.
- Roasted veggies for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and stir the veggies. Roast again until veggies are tender, but retain their crunch.
- Let cool, and then enjoy!