The Best Potato Salad Ever
Summer time in my house meant potato salad. And this salad has been in the family for years. My Oma made this for my dad's family for years. When my parents got married, Oma passed this recipe down to my mom, who has made it for our family for as long as I can remember. And it's so good! It's everything you want in a potato salad plus more.
And there's a little secret to this recipe that makes it so delicious. And I'm not talking about the love or nostalgia. It's the apples! When you use a firm, sweeter apple, it adds a perfect sweet crunch to this otherwise creamy salad.
It's one of the most filling summer time side dishes - and one of my favorites growing up!
Disclaimer: I asked permission to share this recipe before publishing this post, so I won't get in trouble for sharing a family recipe :)
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
[recipe title="Potato Salad" servings="12" time="1 hour"]
- 2lbs potatoes
- 7 hard boiled eggs (plus 1-2 for garnish)
- 3 apples, diced
- 4 pickles, diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (feel free to use Greek yogurt or other alternative)
- 2 tbsp Dutch mustard (regular mustard will work, too)
- 1-2 green onions, to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Wash potatoes and place in pot. Cover with water and place on medium heat. Once boiling, cook until potatoes are soft enough to be pierced with a fork.
- Place eggs in a pot. Cover with water. Place on medium heat until boiling. Once boiling, cook eggs for 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and set aside to cool.
- Remove eggs from heat when finished boiling. Place in a ice bath for 10 minutes.
- While potatoes and eggs are cooling, chop apples and pickles. Place in a large bowl.
- Peel and chop eggs. Add to apples and pickles.
- Add mayo, Dutch mustard, green onions, salt and pepper.
- Mix it all up.
- Slice remaining eggs and arrange on top of salad.
- Sprinkle with parsley and paprika.
- Serve immediately.
What's your favorite childhood summer time recipe? Leave a comment below!