Who's ready for asparagus season? I, for one, am very excited to start cooking with this crunchy, earthy veggie. It's such a simple vegetable. It pairs well with many different flavours and holds up well in a variety of dishes. It is easy to prepare and is great vegetable to prepare ahead of time and eat throughout the week.
Not only is asparagus very delicious, but it boasts an impressive nutritional profile. It is packed with fibre and Vitamin A, C, E and K. It contains glutathione, which helps break down carcinogens by attaching to harmful compounds, making them more water soluble and easily eliminated. Its high levels of folate help reduce cognitive impairment. It's also a natural diuretic, which helps release excess salt from the body.
So, let's talk about this recipe. Instead of using rice noodles, I used whole wheat spaghetti noodles. Mostly because it is what I had in my pantry. Also I love spaghetti.
Add some julienned carrots and blanched (or roasted) asparagus to freshen it up. Toss this mix with a tahini-based dressing and you've got yourself a delicious and healthy dinner.
This recipe makes enough to feed a family of four. Or make this dish on a Sunday and you'll have leftovers for lunch during the week.
[recipe title="Sesame Noodles with Asparagus and Carrots" servings="4" time="30 minutes"]
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz whole grain spaghetti
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, trimmed and cut
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare sesame dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, oil, vinegar, 2 tbsp water, honey, pepper flakes and salt; set aside.
- Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook al dente according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, add about 2 inches of water to another saucepan, then fit with a steamer basket. Bring water to a boil. Add asparagus to basket and steam just until tender, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add asparagus, carrots and scallions. Add spaghetti and sesame dressing; toss to combine. Sprinkle mixture with sesame seeds. Serve warm or chilled.
Have a beautiful week!