As I was meal planning this week, I looked through my refrigerator and pantry to take an inventory of what I had in the house and what I needed to buy. So I opened the freezer and let out a loud, "UGHHHH!" My freezer is full of bananas! Bananas that are just waiting to be transformed into muffins or cupcakes or bread or something! The problem is that I usually don't have the time to bake. But I had a sudden craving for good banana bread. You know the kind: soft and sweet on the inside and crispy and crunchy on the outside. The kind that makes you want to eat the whole loaf as soon it cools (guilty!). And I had a packed schedule with work and events, so I needed something fast, delicious and sort of healthy.
Cookie and Kate to the rescue. Guys, this chick just might be one of my favorite bloggers. She's adorable, posts the most scrumptious recipes and has the cutest dog.
Her fan favorite, Healthy Banana Bread, was just thing I was looking for.
My only note is this: if you are using very ripe bananas, cut back on the honey a little bit. Bananas get sweeter as they ripen, so the natural sweetness is enough to give this bread the right oomph.
[recipe title="Healthy Banana Bread" servings="1 large loaf" time="1 hour"]
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2½ medium or 2 large bananas)
- ¼ cup milk of choice or water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325°F and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk. (If your coconut oil solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, simply let the bowl rest in a warm place for a few minutes, like on top of your stove, or warm it for about 10 seconds in the microwave.)
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Lastly, switch to a big spoon and stir in the flour, just until combined. Some lumps are ok! If you're adding any additional mix-ins, gently fold them in now.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Just a few ingredients and one hour is all that is keeping you from this amazing banana bread. I mean, I ate half of the loaf for lunch (with bacon!), but I also ran for an hour beforehand, so it's balance right?
Anyway until next time,