I have this obsession with everything “mini”. I swear it’s genetic. I tell this story every time I post a recipe that could be made mini, or “individual sized”. When my mom and I used to bake, she would make everything smaller than normal. Cookies became bite-sized cookies. Cupcakes were double baby cakes. Her reason: you won’t eat as many if they are small. Nope. I ate the same. Instead of two regular-sized cookies, it was six mini ones.
Still, I like the mini thing. Not really for the quantity, but more for the nostaglia. I mean, mini bourbon apple pies versus bourbon apple pies – I would rather eat the mini version.
This recipe is inspired by the fact that I have never posted a single thing about bourbon. Le horreur!
I was in a baking mood one day and decided that I needed an apple pie.
Eureka! Bourbon Apple Pie!
Eureka! MINI BOURBON APPLE PIES!!
I used this recipe from A Beautiful Mess, and I felt I had to share it. I made some adjustments to incorporate the mini part of it. I cheated and used pre-made tart shells for the crust. But, I redeemed my baking reputation by creating the top pie crust from scratch! (I hope you’re proud of me, mom and dad.)
If you have food sensitivites, I have included a vegan and gluten free recipe for the pie crust.
Gluten Free: Gluten Free Pie Crust from Wheat Free Mom (this baking phenom is from Calgary and she’s fabulous!)
I will echo the advice in the original recipe: if you don’t want to include bourbon, use some vanilla instead.
Annnddddd….here’s the recipe.
Mini Bourbon Apple Pies
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 15 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cold water.
- 3-4 sour apples
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (I used a tad more for a stronger bourbon flavour)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (Use any sugar substitute you want, but be careful to use the correct measurements. Here’s a handy chart.)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Slowly add water.
- Clean hands and work the dough into a ball.
- Cover in plastic wrap and chill for an hour (or up to overnight).
- When you’re ready to get baking, let your dough sit for a few minutes before rolling out.
NOTE: If you are using pre-made tart shells for the bottom, follow the instructions on the box.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Dice apples.
- Set aside your apples and in a small bowl whisk together the milk, corn starch, bourbon, cinnamon and sugar.
- Pour over the apples and gently mix in.
- Roll out your pie crust and use a cookie cutter (a glass will work) to cut out tart shell sized pie crusts.
- Pour in the filling and lay in tart shells.
- Top your pie with the crust. Add a few slits to the top pie crust to allow steam to escape.
- Get fancy with it and crimp the edges with a fork
- Brush the top with an egg wash and bake for an hour.
If you make this recipe, let me know! You can tag your creation #bourbonandhoney on Instagram.